Portable gas heaters

Portable gas heaters

It is estimated that approximately 20,000 residential fires are caused each year by portable gas heaters and electric space heaters. Although many of these fires are due to human error, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is continually improving the manufacturing standards for these devices.

Today's portable gas heaters and portable electric heaters include automatic shut-off devices and oxygen depletion sensors to further enhance safety and reduce the risk of fire. The stop devices are located at the bottom of the device. If it is picked up, moved or accidentally knocked over, the sensor sends a signal to the control panel and instantly turns off the unit.

If the device causes a drop in oxygen level in the room, an integrated sensor is able to detect changes and turn off the unit. It does not light until oxygen levels return to normal.

Although these devices have been shown to be effective in reducing accidental fires, some precautions should be taken when using a portable gas heater.

When shopping for a portable gas heater, look for the Underwriters Laboratory logo. It is a round circle with the letters "UL" printed in the center. Typically, this logo appears on the box and a label is attached to the unit or power cord.

Avoid buying old or old portable gas heaters. Although you can save a few dollars by buying a used heater, the risks are well above the savings. You can buy a new portable gas heater for less than $ 80, including gas.

Always place a portable gas heater on a stable, level, non-flammable surface such as wood or tile. If the room is carpeted, avoid direct contact by placing a piece of tile or plywood under the unit. Placing a gas heater directly on carpets or carpets could potentially cause a fire.

When using a portable gas heater indoors, it is essential to ventilate the room and ensure that a carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm are installed and functioning. Portable gas heaters emitting toxins, so make sure that fresh air is provided in the room.

Portable gas heaters should never be used in a mobile home. Building specifications are not as strict for mobile homes as they are for traditional homes. If a portable gas heater is placed too close to flammable objects and a fire breaks out, the mobile home may burn on the ground in less than five minutes. Chances are you will not have time to escape. It's just not worth the risk.

Last but not least, never sleep with a portable gas heater in your bedroom. This is especially true if you do not have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector in the room.

Similar articles


Comments (0)

Leave a comment